Saturday, December 20, 2008

Busy Time of Year

This year for Yule my wife had a short wish list, only two items. I was lucky because I've
managed to get them both done. The first wish was for me to get windows installed on the east end of our cabin. That was easy enough except for one little detail. I had to build them first.
Building a fixed glass window is not really very difficult. It's merely a shallow box,the jamb, with another shallower box fastened inside of it, the exterior stop. You apply a strip of self adhesive foam tape to the stop and then set your glass onto the foam. Now make another box, the interior stop, and nail that in against the glass. You then run a bead of silicon caulk against the exterior stop/glass joint and you have your basic window. Now apply what ever sort of exterior trim you want and you're ready to cut a hole in the wall. Of course I had to do it 4 times,but I was set up for it so it was still fairly quick.
Her other wish was for a real floor in the cabin. Not a unreasonable request since we have been living on a dirt floor covered with plastic that's covered with Masonite that's covered with carpet. That was a little bigger project but not too bad. I basically just layed in 2x4's from side to side for joist. A 2x4 would be awful light so I have blocking under them every 4 feet. Then I nailed 3/4 inch chip board on them. I used cheap self stick tile for a finish. As of this post I've got both wishes fulfilled so I'm a happy man since my wife is satisfied with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment