Friday, October 2, 2009

Fall Equinox





The fall equinox has come and gone so the days are getting shorter rapidly here in north central Wisconsin. That's a good thing and a bad thing here on the homestead. It's good because it gives me more time to pursue interest like this blog but a bad thing considering the amount of work I need to get done before the snow flies here in about a month. We had a great, productive, summer and fall even if our new garden was somewhat disappointing.
All the fruit trees and canes seemed to have a bumper crop this year and the biggest challenge was getting them harvested and processed in time. We learnt a new mushroom this year and had a good time hunting for those. Our really big event this year was learning to harvest and process wild rice.
The first pic,which didn't load right,is me treading the rice to remove the hulls. Second one is of the pan we used to parch the rice,which is done before you tread it to desiccate the hulls. Next is me poling the canoe, and last Ann knocking rice as we pole through it.
I've got tons to write about but that will have to wait a little while longer. Time for me to get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment